I am in love! The new dog went from foster dog status to permanent status in, oh, about 30 minutes. She is great in the house, mostly chill when I am there, or roughing up Sinn. When I am gone, she hops on the couch and sleeps. No chewing, howling, or other undesirable behavior. She hangs from tree branches for fun, and I had to pry her off of the springpole, as she was determined to bring it down. Yet she is learning to get along with various other animals just fine (baby bird and tortoise) so her prey drive seems easy to point in the right direction. She seems to not have much if any dog aggression, though she plays very rough. Doesn't mind sharing toys at all with Sinn. Her name is Keeper, btw. Either because she is a keeper or short for brother's keeper, however one wishes to look at it.
The one thing we are working on is her crate training. She was convinced to walk into the crate once she realized it was the only way to get dinner, and doesn't mind when I lock her in while I am home. I tried a short trip away from home and I came back to a shredded crate. We have to have something to work on, right?
Around the neighborhood, I just try to encourage loose leash walking. She doesn't seem to know anything about leashes. Every few feet I either call her name and treat her for answering, or switch directions to keep her guessing. She does know sit, and she loads into cars easily.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment